Coron, a first class municipality in Northern Palawan, is becoming one of the sought-after destinations in the Philippines. With its magnificent landscapes and seascapes, no wonder tourists are excited to experience what more it has to offer.
But before you get excited in knowing the things to do in Coron, it would be best to first know how to reach this captivating island. Well, the fastest way is to take a flight going to Busuanga Airport with code USU (Francisco B. Reyes Airport) via the Manila Domestic Airport. Airlines that fly the Manila-Busuanga route are Skyjet, Cebu Pacific and Philippine Airlines. Standard travel time is around 45 minutes to an hour. If you’re coming from an international destination, best to book a flight going to Manila first then book a domestic flight going to Busuanga.
After securing a flight, next thing to do is to look for the best place to stay. If you fancy staying in a secluded island then your best choice is Club Paradise Palawan. This exclusive luxury island resort is situated in Dimakya Island, located in the northern part of Coron. Approximate travel time from the Busuanga Airport is around 15 to 20 minutes by land transfer and 30 to 45 minutes away by boat, depending on weather conditions. Check out the best accommodation deal here.
Now this is the best part, knowing the top 5 things to do in Coron.
1. Explore the breathtaking marine life. Both seasoned and novice divers will have an awesome time exploring some of the best Coron wreck dives such as the Akutsushima, Okikawa Maru, Irako Maru and Kyokuzan Maru. Coron also boasts of stunning coral gardens. If you’re staying in Club Paradise Palawan, you will be in awe to see its colorful house reef which is home to around 550 underwater species for an incomparable snorkeling experience. This private island resort is also a turtle sanctuary where endangered sea turtles such as the Hawksbill turtle visit the island’s shores and lay eggs.
2. Experience the several captivating lakes in the area. While in Coron, it is indeed a must to explore this tourists spots for a truly memorable visit. Some of these amazing lakes are the famous Kayangan Lake, which offers crystal clear waters that are surrounded by untouched mountain walls, and the Barracuda Lake, a volcanic crater which has both fresh and salt water. There is also a deep cave that can be accessible to more experienced cave divers. The lake’s name came from a large barracuda skeleton found in its waters a long time ago. Although there are still barracudas that can be found in the area until now, there have been no records of barracudas harming people. So don’t be afraid. Furthermore, a nice side trip at the Twin Lagoon is also a great idea.
3. Enjoy a magnificent wildlife sanctuary. A visit in Coron will not be complete without a trip to the Calauit Safari Park. It is a 3,700 hectare island off the coast of Palawan. It is home to different species of exotic African and endemic Palawan flora and fauna where hundreds of giraffes, elans, waterbucks, Calamian deer, monkeys, fresh water crocodiles, zebras, bear cats, bushbuck and a variety of birds that roam freely in the area.
4. Embrace nature. If you’re up for the challenge, you can hike all the way to Mt. Tapyas, the second tallest mountain and one of the most dominant land features around the town of Coron. Once you reach the peak, you will be rewarded with a scenic view of the magnificent island. A relaxing dip in the Maquinit Hot Spring is another wonderful option for hikers looking to soothe tired muscles after the hike. On the other hand, Club Paradise Palawan also offers an outstanding hiking trail, the Eagle’s Point, which provides tourists a front seat to Coron’s marvelous sunset and awe-inspiring islets.
5. Embark on an island hopping tour. A visit to Coron or Palawan in general will not be compete without a trip to several islands in the area. Club Paradise Palawan provides a wonderful tour package to three private islands namely: Dimalanta, Malpagalen and Diatoy.